You all might remember when I posted about a batch of jade-colored, handspun fingering weight BFL, about which I was particularly excited, back in August. I was thinking about knitting a Multnomah shawl, but I asked for suggestions. The wonderful Laura mentioned Aestlight being a good idea, and I agreed with her: it’s a lovely shawl, one that I’ve been eyeing for some time, but at that point we hadn’t gotten a pay check in months and were broke from the move, so I explained to her that I’d need to knit a pattern I already had or one that was free. Imagine my surprise when I logged onto Ravelry the next day and saw that Laura had bought me a copy of the pattern as a house-warming gift. Is it possible for a human to be sweeter than Laura? Probably not.
I immediately cast on, and I really loved the pattern. It comes with two options in terms of size, and I knew I had to make a choice. I really wanted a larger, more snuggly shawl, but I knew this yarn wouldn’t make the larger size. So, I put in a lifeline at the stopping point for the smaller size, knitted on, and decided to use some KnitPicks bare for the bird’s eye lace portion. Many knitters on Ravelry have used a contrasting yarn at different stages of the edging with this pattern, and they all look really lovely.
I knitted happily on, but something kept tugging at my brain. I wasn’t really in love with the two colors together; something just wasn’t right. I kept going, though, until I allowed myself to see the truth: this particular color combination really was…matronly. The green ended up looking minty, and the resulting shawl was one I knew I wouldn’t wear. So, with one repeat of the final edging chart left, I ripped the whole thing back to the lifeline. I decided to knit the smaller size of the shawl with no contrasting color, though I knew this might be pushing it, yardage-wise. I finished the bird’s eye lace, seeing just how much yarn it ate, but still I knitted on. It wasn’t until last Wednesday night that I came to terms with the shawl’s newest issue: there is no way I’ve got enough yarn to finish this shawl. That tiny little ball you see is all that’s left, and I’ve got a little under half of the edging to go. Nerts.
Unable to face the pain of ripping this shawl out, yet again, and finding a new pattern to knit with my beloved handspun (which is starting to look a little fuzzy after all of the ripping out), I did what any intrepid knitter would do.
I cast on for a Mara shawl, adding stripes of some fuzzy, undyed mohair that I bought at KDO last weekend. It was the only logical recourse left me. I’m finding the therapeutic nature of Beaverslide yarn and gartery softness healing, and once I’m done I’ll tackle what is coming to be known as the Aestlight Debacle of 2010.